Samajwadi Party wins Bhatparrani by-election
Deoria (UP): Samajwadi Party candidate Ashutosh Upadhyaya on Thursday won the by-poll for Bhatparrani Assembly seat, defeating his nearest rival, an independent candidate, by 34,102 votes.
Upadhyaya alias Babloo, son of former Uttar Pradesh minister Kameshwar Upadhyaya, got 73,100 votes, while the independent candidate, Sabha Kunwar, was polled 38,998 votes.
According to returning officer and District Magistrate Kumar Ravikant Singh, Upadhyaya defeated Kunwar by a margin of 34,102 votes.
BSP candidate Bindra Kushwaha was on the third place with 24,711 votes.
The by-election was necessitated after the death of former state sports minister Kameshwar Upadhyaya in October last year.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro