SC asks UP to reserve seats for local bodies poll
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday asked the Uttar Pradesh government to complete the procedure for reserving seats in state`s local bodies elections by May 31.
A bench of justices Altamas Kabir and S S Nijjar extended the April 15 deadline and granted additional 45 days` time to the state government on its plea for more time.
The state government through advocate Jitender Mohan Sharma sought extension of the deadline saying that as per the legal opinion of the state`s law department, the elections for the local bodies would be held for the first time after the amendment of the law and the process of reservation has to be started afresh.
The state said after the court`s earlier orders, it had begun the process but it has to be started afresh after the legal opinion.
The UP government had sought the bench to modify its February 1 order in which it had directed the state to complete the process by April 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight