SC commences final hearing on UP violence
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday commenced final hearing on a batch of petitions demanding independent probe either by CBI or special investigating team (SIT) into the recent communal clash in Muzaffarnagar and its adjoining districts in Uttar Pradesh.
Besides impartial inquiry, a three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam is also monitoring the relief and rehabilitation measures undertaken by the state administration for the riot-affected people.
The petitions filed by some advocates, mostly residents of of riot-affected areas, NGOs and others have also sought direction that the state should take all precautions to keep away anti-social elements from the area and that relief measures should reach the affected people without any discrimination.
Further, the petitioners sought framing of mechanism to make the administration responsible for any lapse in handling of the situation.
The bench said it was mainly focusing on the main issues in the riot-hit districts and will decide later whether to hear the petition for initiating contempt action against the Uttar Pradesh government and top leadership of Samajwadi Party for allegedly violating the apex court directions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price