SC issues contempt notice against five UP babus
New Delhi: The Supreme Court asked five senior Uttar Pradesh government officials to explain why contempt of court proceedings should not be launched against them for ignoring its August, 2010, order to appoint some pharmacy graduates in the state`s health department.
A bench of justices Altmas Kabir and Cyriac Joseph sought the explanations from, among others, state`s Principal Secretary (Health) Neeta Chaudhary, issuing them notices on two different petitions filed by 75-odd pharmacy graduates.
The other officials, who were issued notices included state`s health departments` former Principal Secretary Pradeep Kumar Shukla, its Director General S P Ram, Administration Director Alka Srivastava and Paramedical Director Ramji Lal.
The court sought their explanations by February 8.
Recalling the apex court`s August 3, 2010 order, the petitioners pointed out to the court that they have been ordered to be recruited as pharmacists in various hospitals as per the recruitment rules of 1980 and not as per 2002-03 rules.
The contempt petition, filed through advocate Mukesh Giri, pointed out that the court had ordered adoption of 1980 rules for recruitment for the posts advertised in 1999 as adoptions of 2002-03 rules would have left several pharmacy graduates ineligible to the appointment as there had been no recruitment of pharmacists between 1998 and 2007 in the state.
Yet the state government, ignoring the apex court`s order, has begun the process of recruiting pharmacists as per the 2002-03 rules, denying even an iota of chance to petitoners in recruitment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker