SC moved for judicial inquiry in Banda rape case
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has been moved for a judicial inquiry into "violation" of norms by the Uttar Pradesh police and judicial officials in connection with the case relating to the alleged rape of a Dalit girl by a BSP MLA in Banda in which a minor victim was sent to jail.
he Supreme Court has been moved for a judicial inquiry into "violation" of norms by the Uttar Pradesh police and judicial officials in connection with the case relating to the alleged rape of a Dalit girl by a BSP MLA in Banda in which a minor victim was sent to jail.
The petition filed by two lawyers alleged a magistrate, in violation of law, had sent the minor to jail, which he was not empowered to do under the Juvenile Justice Act.
"A magistrate is not empowered under the Act to try the case of a juvenile. The magistrate, who had the theft case filed against the juvenile, had to follow the Act regarding grant of bail of juvenile," the petition filed by D Nathan and Sanjay Gautam said.
The petitioner alleged the police and judicial officers were trying to protect the MLA.
"Initiate inquiry as to how the local police and the judiciary remanded an alleged juvenile in conflict with law to jail instead of producing her before the competent authority as per the Juvenile Justice Act," the petition said.
A 17-year-old Dalit girl was allegedly raped by by Uttar Pradesh BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi in Banda raped on December 10 and 11 at his residence from where she escaped on December 12 when the MLA allegedly attempted to rape her again.
The girl, however, was arrested in connection with an allegedly cooked up case of theft lodged by the legislator`s brother against her.
48-year-old Dwivedi was later arrested in Banda.
The apex court had on January 17 agreed to consider a plea for a judicial inquiry into the alleged rape case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video