SC moved to restrain Maya govt from further construction at Kanshiram memorial
New Delhi: An application was moved in the
Supreme Court today seeking to restrain the Mayawati
government in Uttar Pradesh from carrying out further
construction on the 195-acre old jail complex for expanding
the Kanshiram memorial structure.
The application filed by advocate Sangam Lal Pandey urged
the apex court to constitute a special team to probe the
alleged construction made in violation of the earlier
assurances given by the state.
The applicant alleged that contrary to an earlier
assurance to the apex court, the state government, instead of
converting the jail premises as an "eco park", felled about
8000 trees and modified three big ponds to suit the
requirements of the memorial coming up at the adjacent 60-acre
land in the heart of the city.
It was further alleged that the state also did not
obtain the mandatory permission from the pollution control
board for felling the trees.
According to the petitioner, on July 8, 2009, the
government had given an undertaking that it will use the 195-
acre jail premises for exclusive use of developing an "eco
park" but the same is now being violated by felling trees and
carrying out other modification works.
The proposed construction of Kanshiram memorial is being
made at a cost of Rs 500 crore. It was alleged that the state
government was attempting to merge the 195-acre land with the
60 acres being used for construction of the Kanshiram Smarak
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Legendary artist S H Raza passes away
- 'Ready to clutch a beer' says UK's first double hand transplant patient!- Watch
- Can you beat that! Digvijay Singh in Below Poverty Line list
- Donald Trump's speech at Cleveland offered fear, anger but no solutions: Hillary Clinton
- Significance of celebrating Sankashti Chaturthi!