SC moved to restrain Maya govt from further construction at Kanshiram memorial
New Delhi: An application was moved in the
Supreme Court today seeking to restrain the Mayawati
government in Uttar Pradesh from carrying out further
construction on the 195-acre old jail complex for expanding
the Kanshiram memorial structure.
The application filed by advocate Sangam Lal Pandey urged
the apex court to constitute a special team to probe the
alleged construction made in violation of the earlier
assurances given by the state.
The applicant alleged that contrary to an earlier
assurance to the apex court, the state government, instead of
converting the jail premises as an "eco park", felled about
8000 trees and modified three big ponds to suit the
requirements of the memorial coming up at the adjacent 60-acre
land in the heart of the city.
It was further alleged that the state also did not
obtain the mandatory permission from the pollution control
board for felling the trees.
According to the petitioner, on July 8, 2009, the
government had given an undertaking that it will use the 195-
acre jail premises for exclusive use of developing an "eco
park" but the same is now being violated by felling trees and
carrying out other modification works.
The proposed construction of Kanshiram memorial is being
made at a cost of Rs 500 crore. It was alleged that the state
government was attempting to merge the 195-acre land with the
60 acres being used for construction of the Kanshiram Smarak
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city