SC nod for municipal polls in Uttar Pradesh
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday gave its nod for holding municipal polls in Uttar Pradesh but agreed to examine a plea opposing reservation of posts of chairperson of civic bodies for members of SC, ST and OBC communities.
A bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and J S Khehar, which refused to stay the four-phase elections, said the polls would be held subject to the outcome of the petition before it.
The court had on June 5 decided to examine the plea against the UP government`s May 25 notification reserving the posts of chairperson for people belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes and women in some of the state`s municipal bodies.
Rakesh Gautam, a general category candidate for the post of Khair Nagar Palika chairperson in Aligarh, had urged the apex court to stay the impugned notification issued by the state government.
He had submitted that the poll process was vitiated as the posts were being reserved indiscriminately without any rationale and in a manner, discriminatory to the general category candidates.
In all, there are 630 local bodies comprising 13 municipal corporations, 194 `nagar palika parishads` and 423 `nagar panchayats` in the state.
The petitioner had said that reservation of the posts of chairperson can be done only by rotation. In other words, if a post is reserved for a particular term, then in the subsequent term, it has to be de-reserved, allowing a general category candidate to contest for it.
Elections to the Nagar Palikas in UP were to be held from June 12 and would conclude by July 10, according to the petitioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof