SC notice on UP Cabinet Secretary’s appointment
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued
notice to Uttar Pradesh government on a plea for transfer of a
petition questioning the validity of Shashank Shekhar Singh`s
appointment as the state`s cabinet secretary to itself from
the Allahabad High Court.
A bench of justices H L Dattu and C K Prasad also sought
the replies of the Centre and Singh on an application which
pleaded to the court to examine the validity of Singh`s
appointment after transferring the plea from the High Court.
The bench issued notices on a public interest litigation,
filed by an Uttar Pradesh native Harish Chandra Pandey who
alleged that Singh, despite not belonging to the IAS cadre,
has been occupying the IAS cadre posts for the last 20
"He was initially appointed as a pilot in the Government
of Uttar Pradesh in 1979 and was promoted as Director of Civil
Aviation in 1982. Thereafter, Singh, who is not an IAS, was
posted on various cadre posts of the Indian Administrative
Service," said advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi appearing for
The petition said such postings for him have continued
for over twenty years and neither the state government nor
the Centre has taken any step to end the "absolutely illegal
usurpation of office."
The bench, which initially showed reluctance to entertain
the petition due to the issue being pending with the high
court, agreed to issue the notice on the plea for transfer of
the case from the high court to the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say