SC notice on UP Cabinet Secretary’s appointment
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued
notice to Uttar Pradesh government on a plea for transfer of a
petition questioning the validity of Shashank Shekhar Singh`s
appointment as the state`s cabinet secretary to itself from
the Allahabad High Court.
A bench of justices H L Dattu and C K Prasad also sought
the replies of the Centre and Singh on an application which
pleaded to the court to examine the validity of Singh`s
appointment after transferring the plea from the High Court.
The bench issued notices on a public interest litigation,
filed by an Uttar Pradesh native Harish Chandra Pandey who
alleged that Singh, despite not belonging to the IAS cadre,
has been occupying the IAS cadre posts for the last 20
"He was initially appointed as a pilot in the Government
of Uttar Pradesh in 1979 and was promoted as Director of Civil
Aviation in 1982. Thereafter, Singh, who is not an IAS, was
posted on various cadre posts of the Indian Administrative
Service," said advocate Abhishek Manu Singhvi appearing for
The petition said such postings for him have continued
for over twenty years and neither the state government nor
the Centre has taken any step to end the "absolutely illegal
usurpation of office."
The bench, which initially showed reluctance to entertain
the petition due to the issue being pending with the high
court, agreed to issue the notice on the plea for transfer of
the case from the high court to the apex court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know