SC notice to Mayawati, CBI on plea to lodge fresh FIR against her
New Delhi: More than one-and-a-half years after the disproportionate assets (DA) case against BSP chief Mayawati was quashed, the Supreme Court on Friday issued notice to her and the CBI on a plea for registration of a fresh FIR against her.
Holding that CBI should have got proper advice for registration of a fresh case against her after the apex court quashed the FIR on technical ground, a three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam sought response from the former UP chief minister and the agency within four weeks.
The bench brushed aside the stiff opposition put forward by senior advocate and BSP member Satish Mishra who opposed the plea, saying it is politically motivated.
"We expected that CBI should have got proper advice and acted on that basis," the bench said, indirectly referring to its 2012 verdict by which it had quashed the DA case against Mayawati merely on technical grounds and leaving the option open to the agency to lodge a fresh case against her.
"It is not for the court to pass order on every aspect," the bench said.
"Is it always the duty of the court to direct CBI," the court asked.
By its July 2012 verdict, the court had quashed a nine-year-long DA case against Mayawati on the ground the agency proceeded against her without properly understanding its 2003 orders which were confined to the Taj Corridor case relating to release of Rs 17 crore by UP government allegedly without sanction.
Thereafter, in May 2013, while reserving its decision on a plea seeking review of its July 2012 judgement, the apex court had clarified that its earlier verdict has not taken away CBI`s power to proceed against her in a separate DA case.
On August 8, 2013, the apex court had declined to review its judgement quashing the DA case against her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre