SC notice to Uttar Pradesh on Muzaffarnagar rapes
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday issued notice to the Uttar Pradesh government on a petition alleging police inaction over seven rapes during the Muzaffarnagar riots.
An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam issued the notice after counsel Kamini Jaiswal said police had registered six cases following the rapes but arrested no one.
Jaiswal told the court that the rape victims were not properly examined after the September communal violence that left over 60 people dead.
In one rape case, police were yet to register a FIR, she said. The notice is returnable in four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II