SC notice to Uttar Pradesh on Muzaffarnagar rapes
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Friday issued notice to the Uttar Pradesh government on a petition alleging police inaction over seven rapes during the Muzaffarnagar riots.
An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam issued the notice after counsel Kamini Jaiswal said police had registered six cases following the rapes but arrested no one.
Jaiswal told the court that the rape victims were not properly examined after the September communal violence that left over 60 people dead.
In one rape case, police were yet to register a FIR, she said. The notice is returnable in four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- GST expectations buoy equity markets; Sensex trading at 28,121
- Four Pakistan-backed terrorists killed, 1 apprehended in J&K's Naugam, encounter on
- National Museum gets new chief and he has an Ayodhya connection
- Solar Impulse 2 completes historic round-the-world trip: Incredible welcome for pilots in Abu Dhabi (Watch)
- Peru president elect eyes house arrest for Fujimori