SC scraps Maya’s promotion quota
New Delhi: In a verdict of far reaching consequences, the Supreme Court upheld the Allahabad High Court’s decision to scrap Mayawati-era policy of reservations in promotions for SC/ST officers at the expense of those from the general category.
The Allahabad High Court, in Jan 2011, had dubbed it “unconstitutional” and struck it down following at least 50 petitions by employee associations.
Following which a Special Leave Petition was filed in the Supreme Court against the order by the Bahujan Samaj Party government and some organisations.
The Akhilesh Yadav government had cancelled the order after taking over the reins of Uttar Pradesh; however, Dalit organisations had asked the government to wait till the apex court makes its stand clear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH