SC scraps Maya’s promotion quota
New Delhi: In a verdict of far reaching consequences, the Supreme Court upheld the Allahabad High Court’s decision to scrap Mayawati-era policy of reservations in promotions for SC/ST officers at the expense of those from the general category.
The Allahabad High Court, in Jan 2011, had dubbed it “unconstitutional” and struck it down following at least 50 petitions by employee associations.
Following which a Special Leave Petition was filed in the Supreme Court against the order by the Bahujan Samaj Party government and some organisations.
The Akhilesh Yadav government had cancelled the order after taking over the reins of Uttar Pradesh; however, Dalit organisations had asked the government to wait till the apex court makes its stand clear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31