SC scraps Maya’s promotion quota
New Delhi: In a verdict of far reaching consequences, the Supreme Court upheld the Allahabad High Court’s decision to scrap Mayawati-era policy of reservations in promotions for SC/ST officers at the expense of those from the general category.
The Allahabad High Court, in Jan 2011, had dubbed it “unconstitutional” and struck it down following at least 50 petitions by employee associations.
Following which a Special Leave Petition was filed in the Supreme Court against the order by the Bahujan Samaj Party government and some organisations.
The Akhilesh Yadav government had cancelled the order after taking over the reins of Uttar Pradesh; however, Dalit organisations had asked the government to wait till the apex court makes its stand clear.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi