SC scraps Maya’s promotion quota
New Delhi: In a verdict of far reaching consequences, the Supreme Court upheld the Allahabad High Court’s decision to scrap Mayawati-era policy of reservations in promotions for SC/ST officers at the expense of those from the general category.
The Allahabad High Court, in Jan 2011, had dubbed it “unconstitutional” and struck it down following at least 50 petitions by employee associations.
Following which a Special Leave Petition was filed in the Supreme Court against the order by the Bahujan Samaj Party government and some organisations.
The Akhilesh Yadav government had cancelled the order after taking over the reins of Uttar Pradesh; however, Dalit organisations had asked the government to wait till the apex court makes its stand clear.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case