SC stays HC order for security cover to former UP ministers
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today stayed the Allahabad High Court`s order directing the Uttar Pradesh government to provide Z security cover to BSP MLA and former energy minister of the state Ramveer Upadhyay.
A bench of justices A K Patnaik and Ranjan Gogoi also stayed the high court order for giving security to Vinod Singh, who was the Tourism Minister in the Mayawati government.
The apex court passed the order on an appeal filed by the state government challenging the high court`s order on the ground that there was no security threat to former ministers and pleaded the court to set aside it.
Upadhyay opposed the state government`s plea and submitted to the court that the high court order should not be stayed. Senior advocate A M Singhvi, appearing for him, contended that the apex court should pass the order after hearing the case on merit.
The bench, however, stayed the high court order and posted the case for further hearing on July 9.
"Everyone is equal before the Supreme Court whether it is a minister or common man. Article 21 is equally applicable to all," the bench observed.
Upadhyay was given Y security cover during Mayawati regime but the present Samajwadi Party government withdrew the protection and he was provided only an armed constable for his protection.
Pleading for security cover, he had submitted that he had been attacked several times and needed protection and the security was withdrawn because of political vendetta after the change of government in the state.
While an X category protectee gets a security cover of two personnel, under Y category, there is one personal security officer and one armed guard. Z category entails a security cover of 26 personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!