SC stays HC order for security cover to former UP ministers
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today stayed the Allahabad High Court`s order directing the Uttar Pradesh government to provide Z security cover to BSP MLA and former energy minister of the state Ramveer Upadhyay.
A bench of justices A K Patnaik and Ranjan Gogoi also stayed the high court order for giving security to Vinod Singh, who was the Tourism Minister in the Mayawati government.
The apex court passed the order on an appeal filed by the state government challenging the high court`s order on the ground that there was no security threat to former ministers and pleaded the court to set aside it.
Upadhyay opposed the state government`s plea and submitted to the court that the high court order should not be stayed. Senior advocate A M Singhvi, appearing for him, contended that the apex court should pass the order after hearing the case on merit.
The bench, however, stayed the high court order and posted the case for further hearing on July 9.
"Everyone is equal before the Supreme Court whether it is a minister or common man. Article 21 is equally applicable to all," the bench observed.
Upadhyay was given Y security cover during Mayawati regime but the present Samajwadi Party government withdrew the protection and he was provided only an armed constable for his protection.
Pleading for security cover, he had submitted that he had been attacked several times and needed protection and the security was withdrawn because of political vendetta after the change of government in the state.
While an X category protectee gets a security cover of two personnel, under Y category, there is one personal security officer and one armed guard. Z category entails a security cover of 26 personnel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town