SC to examine plea to monitor CBI probe in Aarushi murder case
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday posted
to December 14 the hearing of an application urging it to
constantly monitor CBI`s probe into the sensational murder of
teenaged school student Aarushi Talwar and her domestic
servant Hemraj in neighbouring Noida.
A bench of Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan, Justices B
Sudershan Reddy and P Sathasivam posted the matter for hearing
on an application moved by an advocate Ajay Agrawal who
claimed CBI`s approach in the investigation was
He urged the apex court to seek the entire status
report besides monthly reports on the progress of the probe.
The application comes in the backdrop of reports that
the vaginal swabs of Aarushi were manipulated to save the
actual culprits, an aspect being probed by CBI.
Aarushi, the daughter of a dentist couple, and her
domestic help Hemraj were found murdered at their Noida house
on May 16, 2008.
On November 17, CBI had submitted in a sealed cover a
status report before another bench of Justices Altamas Kabir
and Cyriac Joseph on a seperate petition filed by another
advocate Surat Singh who had also sought a restraint on the
media from reporting on the progress of the investigation.
CBI had, in its affidavit, said it agreed certain
restraint should be put on the media from damaging the
reputation of individuals in pending criminal matters but at
the same time said investigating agencies should share vital
information with the press in public interest.
However, it said departmental action in the form of
both civil and criminal prosecution should be taken against
those police officers who leak unauthorised news to the media
that causes damage to the reputation of the persons concerned.
CBI`s affidavit was in response to the apex court`s
direction seeking the agency`s views on Surat Singh`s PIL
which sought suitable guidelines and restrictions on the media
from publishing or broacasting news relating to pending
criminal matter, which he claimed tarnished the reputation of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days