SC to examine quota row in UP municipal bodies
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday decided to examine a plea against the Uttar Pradesh government`s May 25 notification reserving the posts of chairperson for people of scheduled castes, tribes and backward classes and the women in some of the state`s municipal bodies.
A bench of justices KS Radhakrishnan and JS Khehar said it would consider the matter on Wednesday after counsel DK Garg, appearing for one Rakesh Gautam of Aligarh, sought an early hearing of the plea saying the nomination process for the civic body polls, to be held shortly, have begun.
Gautam, a general category candidate for the post of Khair Nagar Palika chairperson in Aligarh submitted that the poll process was vitiated as the posts were being reserved indiscriminately without any rationale and in a manner, discriminatory to the general category candidates.
In all, there are 630 local bodies comprising of 13 municipal corporations, 194 `nagar palika parishads` and 423 `nagar panchayats` in the state.
The petitioner submitted that reservation of the posts of chairpersons can be done only by rotation. In other words, if a post is reserved for a particular term, then in the subsequent term, it has to be de-reserved, allowing a general category candidate to contest for it.
The UP government, however, in purported exercise of its powers under Section 9 A of the UP Municipalities Act, 1916 has reserved 28 seats in favour of different castes despite the fact that the posts had been reserved in 2001 and 2006 elections, Garg alleged.
Elections to the Nagarpalikas are to be held from June 12 and would conclude by July 10, he said.
Giving an illustration, the petitioner said in 2001, the
office of chairperson, Nagar Palika, Khair was reserved for general women. In 2006, it was reserved for Schedule Caste women, he added.
On January 15, 2012, the then Mayawati Government notified the Nagar Palika chairperson post for general candidate.
However, after the Akhilesh Singh Yadav Government assumed power on April 25, the state issued a fresh notification reserving the seat for SC candidates.
According to the petitioner, though the Allahabad High Court had held that the notifications reserving the posts were illegal, yet, it directed the petitioner and other aggrieved candidates to approach the respective district judges by way of election petitions.
The petitioner urged the apex court to stay the impugned notification issued by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India