SC to pass orders on UP`s memorials row
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday said it
would pass an order tomorrow on the row relating to
construction of various memorials for and statues of Dalit
icons by Mayawati government in Lucknow.
It would also pass an order on contempt proceedings
against the Uttar Pradesh Chief Secretary in connection with
A bench of Justices H S Bedi and A K Patnaik also
asked the UP government to file an affidavit on maintenance
works it proposed to undertake at the site though no further
construction activities would be permitted at the site until
the state High Court decides on the issue.
The apex court said it would ask the Allahabad High Court
to decide on a bunch of petitions filed by NGO Gomti Nagar
Kalyan Sanstha and other individuals challenging Mayawati
government`s decision on the construction of the memorials.
The two-judge bench decided to pass the orders after
hearing at length for the past one week the arguments put
forward by the rival sides.
While the UP government had insisted that it had every
right to construct the memorials, the petitioners opposed the
same on the ground that public money cannot be squandered to
pander to the political interests of ruling BSP.
The apex court had earlier stayed the construction of
the memorials and said it would examine the constitutional
validity of the state government`s exercise.
It had also issued a contempt notice to the Chief
Secretary following media reports that despite stay on the
construction, the state was carrying out the works.
The Chief Secretary had subsequently filed an
affidavit denying any violation of the apex court order and
contended that whatever works were undertaken were at those
sites which did not form part of the subject matter of writ
petitions pending either before the high court or the Supreme
The Chief Secretary had also tendered an unconditional
apology if any of its orders were violated inadvertently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next