SC tranfers trial in Krishnananda Rai murder case to Delhi
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has transfered trial in BJP leader Krishnananda Rai murder case, in which Mukhtar Ansari and his brother Afzal are main accused, from Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh to Delhi.
A bench of justices H L Gokhale and Ranjan Gogoi shifted the trial on the plea of the deceased leader`s wife who had submitted that she has apprehensions with respect to her security while leading evidence.
"Considering the fact that the incident had happened way back in the year 2005 and the trial is still pending and also considering the apprehension of the petitioner, we allow this petition. Accordingly, the trial of the case is transferred from the Session Court, Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh, to the appropriate Session Court(CBI) in Delhi," the benhc said.
"The charge sheets and papers connected therewith arising out of the same FIR pending before Special Judicial Magistrate, Lucknow, shall also be transferred to the appropriate Session Court(CBI) in Delhi. We hereby direct the Session Court (CBI) in Delhi to take up the matter, preferably from the first week of August, 2013.
Rai was gunned down on November 29, 2005 in Ghazipur. Former Samajwadi Party MP Afzal Ansari and his brother Mukhtar Ansari were arrested for their alleged involvement in the incident.
Earlier, the Allahabad High Court had directed a CBI inquiry in Rai`s murder.
Challenging the HC`s order, the state government had moved the Supreme Court which refused to allow its plea saying the case deserves to be investigated by the country`s premier investigating agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'