SC verdict in Maya case an indictment of UPA govt: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday alleged that the Supreme Court quashing the disproportionate assets case against BSP leader Mayawati was an indictment of the government which was "misusing" the investigative agencies for political gains.
"This is a serious indictment of the UPA government which has turned the investigative agency as a tool to garner political support for its survival," BJP spokesperson Tarun Vijay told reporters reacting to the verdict.
He said there were several cases in Gujarat, Rajasthan and elsewhere in the country which were "examples of the misuse" of such investigative agencies for political gains by the government.
"It is time the government should restore the credibility and independence of investigative agencies in the interest of democracy," he said.
The Supreme Court today quashed a nine-year-old disproportionate assets case against her and pulled up the CBI for initiating the probe against her without specific directions from the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?
- Florida shooting: Three taken into custody, more suspects sought
- Dope test scandal: After wrestler Narsingh Yadav, shot putter Inderjeet Singh tests positive for banned substance
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey