SC verdict in Maya case an indictment of UPA govt: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday alleged that the Supreme Court quashing the disproportionate assets case against BSP leader Mayawati was an indictment of the government which was "misusing" the investigative agencies for political gains.
"This is a serious indictment of the UPA government which has turned the investigative agency as a tool to garner political support for its survival," BJP spokesperson Tarun Vijay told reporters reacting to the verdict.
He said there were several cases in Gujarat, Rajasthan and elsewhere in the country which were "examples of the misuse" of such investigative agencies for political gains by the government.
"It is time the government should restore the credibility and independence of investigative agencies in the interest of democracy," he said.
The Supreme Court today quashed a nine-year-old disproportionate assets case against her and pulled up the CBI for initiating the probe against her without specific directions from the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Ranveer Singh and Karan Johar to work together! Details inside
- After Gujarat, two Bihar Dalit youths thrashed, urinated upon: Watch shocking video
- Another beef-related assault reported, four of a Dalit family attacked in Karnataka
- INS Viraat embarks on farewell voyage to Kochi
- West Indies vs India - 1st Test, Day 3 - As it happened...