SC verdict in Maya case an indictment of UPA govt: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Friday alleged that the Supreme Court quashing the disproportionate assets case against BSP leader Mayawati was an indictment of the government which was "misusing" the investigative agencies for political gains.
"This is a serious indictment of the UPA government which has turned the investigative agency as a tool to garner political support for its survival," BJP spokesperson Tarun Vijay told reporters reacting to the verdict.
He said there were several cases in Gujarat, Rajasthan and elsewhere in the country which were "examples of the misuse" of such investigative agencies for political gains by the government.
"It is time the government should restore the credibility and independence of investigative agencies in the interest of democracy," he said.
The Supreme Court today quashed a nine-year-old disproportionate assets case against her and pulled up the CBI for initiating the probe against her without specific directions from the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire