School principal sets herself afire in UP
Jaunpur: A school principal here set herself afire outside the home of the school manager who she claimed had been sexually harassing her, police said Thursday. The woman`s condition was described as "extremly serious".
The incident took place in Shahganj locality of Jaunpur, about 250 km from the state capital Lucknow.
In a suicide note, she blamed the manager for prompting her to take the extreme step.
"The note said the school manager was sexually harassing her for a long time on false assurances to marry her," Senior Superintendent of Police SK Bhagat told reporters here.
"Preliminary investigations reveal the principal had learnt that the manager was only interested in an illicit relationship and not in marrying her," he said.
Efforts are on to arrest the manager.
"She is being treated for multiple burn injuries. Her condition is extremely serious," an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai