Scuffle between police and unemployed men wanting to meet Akhilesh
Kanpur: A scuffle took place between police and members of an organisation of unemployed people outside the Chandra Shekhar Azad Agriculture University here, just before the arrival of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for the convocation ceremony of the university.
Nearly 40 members of `Uttar Pradesh Berozgaar Sangh` led by its president Diwakar Mishra reached the university to meet the Chief Minister around 10.30 AM.
The members, who were carrying the national flag, wanted to apprise the Chief Minister with the problems of the unemployed and students.
But the police stopped them outside the university gate. This led to an argument between the two parties.
The police first tried to push them away, but did not succeed. Later, slight force was used and they were dispersed. Their leader Diwakar Mishra was taken into custody and kept at Kohna police station.
"Diwakar Mishra has been taken into custody for creating ruckus," said Kohna police station incharge Inspector U C Srivastava, without giving any other detail.
"I was beaten up by the police which is now trying to lodge several cases against me. Many of my supporters were also injured," claimed Mishra while talking on the phone from the police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery