SDM arrested for plotting to kill neighbours in UP
Lucknow: A Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) has been arrested here for hatching a conspiracy to kill his two neighbours who allegedly tried to "spoil his daughter", police said on Thursday.
Rathibhan Verma, currently posted as an extra magistrate in Barabanki district, was arrested Thursday along with three contract killers, hired by him to kill the neighbours.
"On several occasions in the past, the SDM had quarrelled with the two neighbours -- Vinod Awasthi and Kusum Mishra -- as he suspected that they were trying to get one of his daughters to date a youth and spoil her," said a police officer.
The SDM and the three contract killers were arrested on the basis of investigation into the murder of the SDM`s private driver, Sarvjeet.
Sarvjeet, who used to stay in the servant quarter of the SDM`s house in Chinhat, was found murdered Tuesday evening.
The police team investigating the murder case found that the SDM had initially hired the three contract killers through Sarvjeet, whom he treated like a son.
But the SDM`s wife Kailasha feared that Sarvjeet could kill the entire family to grab their property.
"Kailasha, who was well aware of the fact that her husband had hired the three people to bump off the two neighbours, decided to hire the same contract killers to eliminate Sarvjeet," Additional Superintendent of Police Abdul Hameed told a news agency.
"She (Kailasha) managed to get the three men on her side by promising them a car and more money. And later, as instructed by Kailasha, the three killed Sarvjeet," he added.
Kailasha was arrested Wednesday night along with her domestic help Motilal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Turkish soldier killed in clash with Kurdish militants - security sources
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'
- Has somebody blocked you on WhatsApp? Know how to unblock yourself
- Reforms to aid growth; banking sector risks remain: Moody's
- Here's why NASA calls low level of Arctic sea ice the 'new normal' – Watch!