Second Meerut jail escapee nabbed, seven still at large
Meerut: One of the nine prisoners who had
escaped from Meerut district jail earlier this month has been
arrested in Aligarh, police said on Wednesday.
Sanjay was arrested yesterday from a bus stop in
Aligarh after the city police received a tip-off and laid a
trap to nab him, they said.
He is reported to be involved in more than half a
dozen cases of serious crime including murder and dacoity and
was serving life imprisonment since the past six years.
With his arrest, two escapees have now been caught
though seven are still at large. The other prisoner, Manoj was
caught in Route Bangla area on Monday.
Meanwhile, investigation into the escape of the nine
prisoners have revealed that the breakout had been planned for
about a year and there was carelessness on part of prison
V K Gupta, ADG of Meerut, said that in order to climb
the walls, prisoners used iron pipes which had been dumped at
the jail premises for a very long time.
Moreover, iron bars over the walls had been cut in
advance, which enabled the prisoners to escape easily.
There were lapses on part of the jail authorities who
should have been more alert, he said, adding, it needs to be
found out why the pipes were not removed and why was it not
discovered that the iron bars were cut.
Now, that the investigation is complete, it is time to
fix responsibility, Gupta said.
Nine prisoners, including seven convicts, had escaped
from Meerut district jail on the night of July 19 following
which 15 jail personnel were suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter