Security beefed up in AMU on eve of Sir Syed Day
Aligarh: Security has been tightened at the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) campus here as a precautionary measure on the eve of the annual Sir Syed Day celebrations on October 17.
Former Union Minister and Member of Rajya Sabha Mohsina Kidwai will be the chief guest at the celebrations marking the 195th Birth Anniversary of Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, the founder of the University.
Preventive steps are being taken in view of some untoward incidents which were reported in the campus on this day last year, an AMU spokesman said.
University administration has taken a serious view of these and "would not tolerate any act of indiscipline of that sort this year," he said, adding that teams of proctorial board are being set up and deployed at different points in the campus for the purpose.
In addition, adequate police force would be posted at different strategic points in the campus.
Traffic restrictions are also being imposed for outsiders who will be visiting the campus as guests for celebrations in different residential halls of the University.
A special feature of tomorrow`s celebrations is the discussion of Sir Syed`s teachings and the holding of customary dinner parties in different residential halls in which nearly twenty thousand persons including students, teachers and guests from across the country are expected to participate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'