Security forces detain 24 at Indo-Nepal border
Maharajganj (UP): Twenty four people, including five women and 14 children, were detained here while they were trying to enter India through the Nepal border, police said on Wednesday.
The group of 24 persons were stopped by Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) and local police for checking yesterday when they failed to produce valid documents about their identity, they said.
During interrogation, a police source said, the detained persons claimed that several years ago they had crossed over to Pakistan and got married and settled there.
Now they were trying to return home, said the source.
Prima facie nothing objectionable has been found against them, Superintendent of Police Lakshmi Narayan said.
All the detained people told the police that they belonged to Jammu and Kashmir and were coming from Kathmandu, sources said.
The local police is verifying their credentials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- To give shape to new education policy, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar meets RSS leaders
- Italian connection to Mahatma Gandhi's assassination? Subramanian Swamy to reveal after August 15
- WATCH: AB de Villiers' lesson for 19-year-old who struck him with fearsome bouncer
- More girls studying, but 84% drop out after graduation
- Market gatheres momentum, Sensex up 120 points amid F&O expiry