Security geared up for Babri Masjid demolition anniversary
Lucknow: Security has been geared up on the
eve of the 17th anniversary of the demolition of Babri Masjid
and authorities have banned observance of the day by political
parties through different functions to avert any law and order
While VHP has decided to observe the day as "Shourya Diwas
(valour day)", Samajwadi Party has planned "Kala Diwas (black
day)". All India Babri Masjid Action Committee has decided to
organise special prayers for peace and harmony.
Additional Director General (Law and Order) Brijlal said
district police chiefs have been asked to ensure that these
programmes did not vitiate communal atmosphere.
He said tight security arrangements were being made in
Ayodhya and other sensitive districts.
In Ayodhya besides central forces, 500 personnel of PAC,
200 jawans of Rapid Action Force (RAF) and three bomb
detecting squads and anti-sabotage teams have been deployed,
RAF teams have also been deployed in Faizabad, Gorakhpur,
Lucknow, Moradabad, Aligarh, Varanasi, Mau, Kanpur and other
districts, he said.
The authorities are extra careful this time as the
atmosphere has become surcharged after the Liberhan Commission
indicted senior BJP leaders including Atal Bihari Vajpayee, L
K Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi. The report, tabled in
Parliament, however, exonerated the then Prime Minister P V
Sources said public places including railway stations, bus
stands and markets were kept under surveillance to avert any
attempt to disturb law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH