Security geared up for Babri Masjid demolition anniversary
Lucknow: Security has been geared up on the
eve of the 17th anniversary of the demolition of Babri Masjid
and authorities have banned observance of the day by political
parties through different functions to avert any law and order
While VHP has decided to observe the day as "Shourya Diwas
(valour day)", Samajwadi Party has planned "Kala Diwas (black
day)". All India Babri Masjid Action Committee has decided to
organise special prayers for peace and harmony.
Additional Director General (Law and Order) Brijlal said
district police chiefs have been asked to ensure that these
programmes did not vitiate communal atmosphere.
He said tight security arrangements were being made in
Ayodhya and other sensitive districts.
In Ayodhya besides central forces, 500 personnel of PAC,
200 jawans of Rapid Action Force (RAF) and three bomb
detecting squads and anti-sabotage teams have been deployed,
RAF teams have also been deployed in Faizabad, Gorakhpur,
Lucknow, Moradabad, Aligarh, Varanasi, Mau, Kanpur and other
districts, he said.
The authorities are extra careful this time as the
atmosphere has become surcharged after the Liberhan Commission
indicted senior BJP leaders including Atal Bihari Vajpayee, L
K Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi. The report, tabled in
Parliament, however, exonerated the then Prime Minister P V
Sources said public places including railway stations, bus
stands and markets were kept under surveillance to avert any
attempt to disturb law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares wide view of Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming from space!
- 1st Test, Day 3: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- Bail plea of Amanatullah Khan, accused of threatening woman with rape and murder, to be heard today
- Bhagwant Mann FB video row: Deadline for AAP MP to depose before parliamentary panel ends today
- Donald Trump was 'being sarcastic' over Russia hacking comments