Security geared up for Babri Masjid demolition anniversary
Lucknow: Security has been geared up on the
eve of the 17th anniversary of the demolition of Babri Masjid
and authorities have banned observance of the day by political
parties through different functions to avert any law and order
While VHP has decided to observe the day as "Shourya Diwas
(valour day)", Samajwadi Party has planned "Kala Diwas (black
day)". All India Babri Masjid Action Committee has decided to
organise special prayers for peace and harmony.
Additional Director General (Law and Order) Brijlal said
district police chiefs have been asked to ensure that these
programmes did not vitiate communal atmosphere.
He said tight security arrangements were being made in
Ayodhya and other sensitive districts.
In Ayodhya besides central forces, 500 personnel of PAC,
200 jawans of Rapid Action Force (RAF) and three bomb
detecting squads and anti-sabotage teams have been deployed,
RAF teams have also been deployed in Faizabad, Gorakhpur,
Lucknow, Moradabad, Aligarh, Varanasi, Mau, Kanpur and other
districts, he said.
The authorities are extra careful this time as the
atmosphere has become surcharged after the Liberhan Commission
indicted senior BJP leaders including Atal Bihari Vajpayee, L
K Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi. The report, tabled in
Parliament, however, exonerated the then Prime Minister P V
Sources said public places including railway stations, bus
stands and markets were kept under surveillance to avert any
attempt to disturb law and order.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?