Security of Noida MP Mahesh Sharma being assessed
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh is assessing the security of Noida MP Mahesh Sharma, officials said on Tuesday.
The Uttar Pradesh government has sought a report from the Noida district administration of reported threat to the life of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and sitting MP Mahesh Sharma.
The development comes in backdrop of the Union Home Ministry seeking details from the Akhilesh Yadav government on the matter.
Sources said intelligence agencies scaled up the security threat to Sharma, also owner of Kailash hospital in Noida, a suburb of the national capital.
With a district BJP leader being killed some time back, assessment of threat to various BJP leaders is being carried out, an official told a news agency while listing Sharma as one of the leaders "who needed a security upgrade".
Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mukul Goyal confirmed the development and said that a security overhaul, if needed, will be undertaken once the report by Noida police and the district administration is received.
Sharma is a close associate of union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and owes his ascendancy in the BJP to Singh.
BJP leader and Dadri Nagar Panchayat chairman Geeta Pandit`s husband Vijay Pandit (37) was shot dead on June 08 by four unidentified people in Dadri area, after which a mob set ablaze 16 vehicles near a police station in protest. Pandit was close to Mahesh Sharma.
After BJP`s stunning victory in the Lok Sabha elections when it won 71 of the 80 seats in UP, at least four BJP leaders have been killed, in what the party alleges are vendetta killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Italy quake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact