Security of Noida MP Mahesh Sharma being assessed
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh is assessing the security of Noida MP Mahesh Sharma, officials said on Tuesday.
The Uttar Pradesh government has sought a report from the Noida district administration of reported threat to the life of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and sitting MP Mahesh Sharma.
The development comes in backdrop of the Union Home Ministry seeking details from the Akhilesh Yadav government on the matter.
Sources said intelligence agencies scaled up the security threat to Sharma, also owner of Kailash hospital in Noida, a suburb of the national capital.
With a district BJP leader being killed some time back, assessment of threat to various BJP leaders is being carried out, an official told a news agency while listing Sharma as one of the leaders "who needed a security upgrade".
Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mukul Goyal confirmed the development and said that a security overhaul, if needed, will be undertaken once the report by Noida police and the district administration is received.
Sharma is a close associate of union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and owes his ascendancy in the BJP to Singh.
BJP leader and Dadri Nagar Panchayat chairman Geeta Pandit`s husband Vijay Pandit (37) was shot dead on June 08 by four unidentified people in Dadri area, after which a mob set ablaze 16 vehicles near a police station in protest. Pandit was close to Mahesh Sharma.
After BJP`s stunning victory in the Lok Sabha elections when it won 71 of the 80 seats in UP, at least four BJP leaders have been killed, in what the party alleges are vendetta killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees