Security tightened on eastern UP border
Maharajganj: Security has been beefed up along the porous Indo-Nepal border areas in eastern Uttar Pradesh districts following incidents of alleged Maoist attacks on Indian carriers in Nepal.
"A strict screening of the people crossing the border and entering India is being undertaken by the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)", DIG, SSB RS Shekhawat told a news agency.
All religious places here are being closely monitored following reports that Pakistan`s ISI was using them as a base for infiltrating the country and carrying out anti-national activities, Shekhawat said.
Thousands of people cross into India from the porous borders in Shravasti, Balrampur, Siddharth Nagar, Maharajganj districts in the eastern part of Uttar Pradesh every day.
"An alert has been sounded in the border areas and a strict vigil is being maintained," he said.
Security agencies have been asked to ascertain the identities of people who cross over through the border to prevent Maoist activities in the area, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan