Security tightened on eastern UP border
Maharajganj: Security has been beefed up along the porous Indo-Nepal border areas in eastern Uttar Pradesh districts following incidents of alleged Maoist attacks on Indian carriers in Nepal.
"A strict screening of the people crossing the border and entering India is being undertaken by the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)", DIG, SSB RS Shekhawat told a news agency.
All religious places here are being closely monitored following reports that Pakistan`s ISI was using them as a base for infiltrating the country and carrying out anti-national activities, Shekhawat said.
Thousands of people cross into India from the porous borders in Shravasti, Balrampur, Siddharth Nagar, Maharajganj districts in the eastern part of Uttar Pradesh every day.
"An alert has been sounded in the border areas and a strict vigil is being maintained," he said.
Security agencies have been asked to ascertain the identities of people who cross over through the border to prevent Maoist activities in the area, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- Indian money in Swiss banks drops by one-third to Rs 8,392 crore
- 'Kriti' makers to file defamation suit against Nepali filmmaker
- 'Deadpool 2' to go on floors early 2017
- Islamic State men were planning to attack police station in Hyderabad after making powerful bombs: Report
- Pakistani TV actor shot in Karachi