Security tightened on eastern UP border
Maharajganj: Security has been beefed up along the porous Indo-Nepal border areas in eastern Uttar Pradesh districts following incidents of alleged Maoist attacks on Indian carriers in Nepal.
"A strict screening of the people crossing the border and entering India is being undertaken by the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)", DIG, SSB RS Shekhawat told a news agency.
All religious places here are being closely monitored following reports that Pakistan`s ISI was using them as a base for infiltrating the country and carrying out anti-national activities, Shekhawat said.
Thousands of people cross into India from the porous borders in Shravasti, Balrampur, Siddharth Nagar, Maharajganj districts in the eastern part of Uttar Pradesh every day.
"An alert has been sounded in the border areas and a strict vigil is being maintained," he said.
Security agencies have been asked to ascertain the identities of people who cross over through the border to prevent Maoist activities in the area, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!