Security to couples in Ghaziabad to curb dishonour killings
Ghaziabad: Much to the relief of couples facing threats from their families after eloping, Ghaziabad police has decided to provide security cover to them in a bid to curb cases of dishonour killing in the city.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Dharmender Singh has issued a circular to all station-house-officers (SHOs) directing them to provide security cover to eloped couples seeking for it on immediate basis.
He also asked them to take strict action if any case of dishonour killing is reported.
Police sources claimed that there are 56 couples in Ghaziabad who are at present facing dishonour killing threats. Besides, 147 couples have eloped this year.
Singh said the steps are being taken to protect couples who are either planning to get married or have already got married against the wishes of their parents.
There have been several cases of dishonour killing reported across the district in the recent few months.
On March 16, a woman was found murdered near Krishanpuri railway tracks in Modinagar. She was allegedly killed by her father and his three associates because she married against the wishes of her family.
"Cases of honour killing can be reduced in the district if couples are provided security cover by police. All SHOs have been directed to take strict action against those threatening such couples," Singh said.
Senior police officials have also welcomed the directions given by SSP in this regard, saying it would help in minimising such cases in Ghaziabad.
In the circular, the SSP has asked SHOs to record complainants` statements and keep their photos with them.
"If dishonour killing cases are reported from the police stations` jurisdiction, strict action would be taken against them owing to their laxity in handling such cases,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!