Sedition case: `Readmission only after probe report comes`
Meerut: The Kashmiri students who were expelled from their college here after being slapped with sedition charges for allegedly cheering the Pakistan cricket team can only get readmission after they are cleared of the charges in the probe, Subharti University said on Monday.
The university`s vice chancellor Manzoor Ahmed said that they will take a decision in this regard only after getting the report of the probe which is being conducted by a committee constituted by the varsity.
"Even if, students get declared innocent by the probe committee, they, along with their guardians will have to produce an affidavit mentioning they will not indulge in any such act in future," Ahmed said.
Ahmed also refuted the media reports that the committee will go to Jammu and Kashmir to record the students` statements.
Meerut District Magistrate Pankaj Yadav said that in response to the Election Commission`s order related to sedition charges, a police report has been sent to it.
He said a magisterial probe into the matter was still going on.
The Election Commission, on BJP`s complaint, had sought a report from the Meerut district administration in connection with the dropping of sedition charges against the students.
UP government had slapped the sedition charges against around 60 Kashmiri students of Swami Vivekananda Subharti University in Meerut for allegedly cheering Pakistan during the cricket match on March 2.
However, the charges were withdrawn following an outrage in Kashmir valley and other parts of the country and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s appeal to his UP counterpart Akhilesh Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan