Sedition case: `Readmission only after probe report comes`
Meerut: The Kashmiri students who were expelled from their college here after being slapped with sedition charges for allegedly cheering the Pakistan cricket team can only get readmission after they are cleared of the charges in the probe, Subharti University said on Monday.
The university`s vice chancellor Manzoor Ahmed said that they will take a decision in this regard only after getting the report of the probe which is being conducted by a committee constituted by the varsity.
"Even if, students get declared innocent by the probe committee, they, along with their guardians will have to produce an affidavit mentioning they will not indulge in any such act in future," Ahmed said.
Ahmed also refuted the media reports that the committee will go to Jammu and Kashmir to record the students` statements.
Meerut District Magistrate Pankaj Yadav said that in response to the Election Commission`s order related to sedition charges, a police report has been sent to it.
He said a magisterial probe into the matter was still going on.
The Election Commission, on BJP`s complaint, had sought a report from the Meerut district administration in connection with the dropping of sedition charges against the students.
UP government had slapped the sedition charges against around 60 Kashmiri students of Swami Vivekananda Subharti University in Meerut for allegedly cheering Pakistan during the cricket match on March 2.
However, the charges were withdrawn following an outrage in Kashmir valley and other parts of the country and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah`s appeal to his UP counterpart Akhilesh Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video