Sehgal`s body donated for medical research
Kanpur: As a huge crowd bid her the final farewell, veteran freedom fighter Captain Lakshmi Sehgal`s body was Tuesday taken to the GSVM medical college here where it would be donated for research.
The body of Sehgal, who died yesterday at the age of 97, was taken in a procession from the McRobert hospital.
Suhasini Ali, daughter of the freedom fighter and CPI(M) leader said, "as per her last wish we have donated her eyes and her body would be donated for medical research and handed over to the Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial Medical College".
Union Minister Vyalar Ravi, CPI (M) leader Brinda Karat, Sehgal`s filmmaker grandson Shad Ali and other prominent media personalities paid their tributes at her last farewell.
Karat remembered the leader as a "highly politically motivated human being who fought injustice wherever she saw it...She served people with every ounce of strength".
Yesterday, after her demise, leaders from across the political spectrum lauded Sehgal`s contribution to the country.
Sehgal (97), who was part of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose`s Indian National Army, breathed her last at a private hospital at 11.20 AM yesterday.
She was admitted to the hospital on July 19 after she suffered a heart attack at her residence in the Civil Lines area here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days