Sehgal`s body donated for medical research
Kanpur: As a huge crowd bid her the final farewell, veteran freedom fighter Captain Lakshmi Sehgal`s body was Tuesday taken to the GSVM medical college here where it would be donated for research.
The body of Sehgal, who died yesterday at the age of 97, was taken in a procession from the McRobert hospital.
Suhasini Ali, daughter of the freedom fighter and CPI(M) leader said, "as per her last wish we have donated her eyes and her body would be donated for medical research and handed over to the Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi Memorial Medical College".
Union Minister Vyalar Ravi, CPI (M) leader Brinda Karat, Sehgal`s filmmaker grandson Shad Ali and other prominent media personalities paid their tributes at her last farewell.
Karat remembered the leader as a "highly politically motivated human being who fought injustice wherever she saw it...She served people with every ounce of strength".
Yesterday, after her demise, leaders from across the political spectrum lauded Sehgal`s contribution to the country.
Sehgal (97), who was part of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose`s Indian National Army, breathed her last at a private hospital at 11.20 AM yesterday.
She was admitted to the hospital on July 19 after she suffered a heart attack at her residence in the Civil Lines area here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra