Send a strong message with CBI probe, Akhilesh told
Lucknow: Renewing his demand for a CBI probe
into implementation of MNREGA in UP, Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Saturday asked Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to send a
"strong message" that the new government would not tolerate
corruption or scams.
"I have requested Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to
recommend CBI probe into the implementation of MNREGA scheme
specially in these three districts (Gonda, Balrampur and
Sonbhadra) where largescale misappropriation has come to
light," the Union Minister for Rural Development told
reporters here after meeting the chief minister.
The CAG audit is on in 12 states which would be completed
in seven to eight months` time but it would be better not to
wait till then and the chief minister has said that he would
look into it soon, Ramesh said.
"Though it is difficult to find out how much of the Rs
6500 to Rs. 7000 crores spent in UP under the scheme has gone
with whom, it should be accepted that scams have taken place,"
the minister said, adding that in a letter written earlier to
the state government he had given examples of how funds have
been misappropriated in various districts.
Promising full support to the state, he said that he
told Yadav that though they are political rivals but on the
issue of rural development, they would work together.
He, however, added that no political meaning should be
derived from it as "this cooperation" was "just an indication
that UPA government does not discriminate with non-Congress
ruled states and charges to this effect are unfounded and
Though some good work has also been done under the
MNREGA, he said, "in UP there is an atmosphere that there
are scams all around and it has to be ensured that its funds
are not misused by the sarpanchs in buying Boleros."
"A CBI probe will send a strong message that the new UP
government would not tolerate corruption or scams," Ramesh
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India