Separate cases of molestation spark protests in Meerut
Meerut: Two separate incidents of molestation in the district sparked off angry protests and led to tension between local communities, police said on Monday.
The first case was reported from Railway Road area of the city when a youth, identified as Afzal, allegedly dragged a girl inside a house last night and tried to molest her. He allegedly also shot a video clip of the act.
However, the victim`s shouts for help brought people nearby to her rescue who nabbed the accused, police said, adding that the accused has been taken into custody.
In another incident yesterday, a youth Wasim allegedly tried to molest a girl in Masuri village in the Inchauli area while she was on her way home.
According to police, in this case too the girl`s cries for help brought villagers and her family members to the scene who then thrashed the youth. He had to be admitted in a nursing home after being beaten up.
A case has been registered against him, police said.
A senior Meerut police official said that although there was tension in the area following the incident last evening, situation has been brought under control this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!