Separate cases of molestation spark protests in Meerut
Meerut: Two separate incidents of molestation in the district sparked off angry protests and led to tension between local communities, police said on Monday.
The first case was reported from Railway Road area of the city when a youth, identified as Afzal, allegedly dragged a girl inside a house last night and tried to molest her. He allegedly also shot a video clip of the act.
However, the victim`s shouts for help brought people nearby to her rescue who nabbed the accused, police said, adding that the accused has been taken into custody.
In another incident yesterday, a youth Wasim allegedly tried to molest a girl in Masuri village in the Inchauli area while she was on her way home.
According to police, in this case too the girl`s cries for help brought villagers and her family members to the scene who then thrashed the youth. He had to be admitted in a nursing home after being beaten up.
A case has been registered against him, police said.
A senior Meerut police official said that although there was tension in the area following the incident last evening, situation has been brought under control this morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'