Seven children drown as boat capsizes in UP
Gorakhpur: Seven children drowned when their boat capsized in the Rapti River in the district, police said on Thursday.
About 20 people were crossing the river in a small boat near Gauri Mangalpur village of Khorabar block when it capsized midstream.
Overloading of the boat is said to be the reason behind the incident, they said.
While bodies of seven children identified as Seema (13), Dhanushree (16), Rani (9), Rinki (12), Savita (10), Pradeep (12) and Ajit (14) were fished out by the divers, the body of one boy is yet to be recovered.
The district administration has given an ex-gratia of Rs 10,000 each to the families of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan