Seven children drown as boat capsizes in UP
Gorakhpur: Seven children drowned when their boat capsized in the Rapti River in the district, police said on Thursday.
About 20 people were crossing the river in a small boat near Gauri Mangalpur village of Khorabar block when it capsized midstream.
Overloading of the boat is said to be the reason behind the incident, they said.
While bodies of seven children identified as Seema (13), Dhanushree (16), Rani (9), Rinki (12), Savita (10), Pradeep (12) and Ajit (14) were fished out by the divers, the body of one boy is yet to be recovered.
The district administration has given an ex-gratia of Rs 10,000 each to the families of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back