Seven children drown as boat capsizes in UP
Gorakhpur: Seven children drowned when their boat capsized in the Rapti River in the district, police said on Thursday.
About 20 people were crossing the river in a small boat near Gauri Mangalpur village of Khorabar block when it capsized midstream.
Overloading of the boat is said to be the reason behind the incident, they said.
While bodies of seven children identified as Seema (13), Dhanushree (16), Rani (9), Rinki (12), Savita (10), Pradeep (12) and Ajit (14) were fished out by the divers, the body of one boy is yet to be recovered.
The district administration has given an ex-gratia of Rs 10,000 each to the families of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player