Seven devotees killed in Uttar Pradesh accident
Lucknow: At least seven devotees were killed and 40 injured when their bus overturned and fell into a deep ditch in Uttar Pradesh`s Banda district, police said on Monday.
The accident took place late Sunday when the private bus taking passengers to Chitrakoot Dham -- a pilgrimage centre -- overturned in Girwan area, some 200 km from Lucknow.
"With the help of locals, trapped passengers were rescued and admitted to the district hospital," police inspector NR Singh said.
Banda Chief Medical Officer Kedarnath Srivastava said: "Of the 40 injured, seven have been referred to Hailet hospital in Kanpur as their condition deteriorated."
According to police, the victims are natives of different villages in Hamirpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional