Seven devotees killed in Uttar Pradesh accident
Lucknow: At least seven devotees were killed and 40 injured when their bus overturned and fell into a deep ditch in Uttar Pradesh`s Banda district, police said on Monday.
The accident took place late Sunday when the private bus taking passengers to Chitrakoot Dham -- a pilgrimage centre -- overturned in Girwan area, some 200 km from Lucknow.
"With the help of locals, trapped passengers were rescued and admitted to the district hospital," police inspector NR Singh said.
Banda Chief Medical Officer Kedarnath Srivastava said: "Of the 40 injured, seven have been referred to Hailet hospital in Kanpur as their condition deteriorated."
According to police, the victims are natives of different villages in Hamirpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter