Seven held for smuggling liquor in Meerut
Meerut: Seven persons were arrested for allegedly smuggling liquor in three villages of the district during a drive being carried out by the police ahead of the Lok Sabha elections.
In view of a rise in cases of liquor smuggling off late, police had launched a drive in Bahsuma, Satwai and Kithauli villages in the district, SSP Onkar Singh said on Tuesday.
Under the drive, we arrested Karamveer and Lavi were arrested from Bahsuma village, Deepak, another Deepak and Gaurav were arrested from Satwai village. Vinod and Veerpal were arrested from Kithauli village, he said.
A total of 80 bottles of liquor were seized from them, the SSP said.
Police believe that the liquor was meant to be used to woo voters during the Lok Sabha elections, he said.
The SSP said the drive against liquor smuggling would continue till the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore