Seven more bodies recovered, toll in boat tragedy rises to 10
Bahraich, UP: Seven more bodies were fished out of the Saryu river taking the toll to 10 in the boat tragedy near here even as two persons were still missing, a senior officer said here Thursday.
"While three bodies were recovered till last evening, seven more bodies were fished out till this morning taking the death toll in the boat tragedy to 10," sub-divisional
magistrate Ayodhya Prasad said.
He said that two more persons were missing and efforts were being made to trace them and a team of PAC divers from Faizabad has been called to carry out rescue and relief work, he said.
"Initially the picture was not clear due to rain and storm, but now it is confirmed that 36 people were present on the boat at the time of the accident," he said.
The SDM said that while 14 people were rescued by police and PAC jawans, 10 others swam to safety.
He said that the boat passengers were residents of Ikghara and nearby hamlets.
"An ex-gratia of Rs one lakh each is being given to kin of those killed in the accident," Prasad said.
A boat carrying 36 passengers capsized in the Saryu river at Ikghara ghat, about 30 kms from the district headquarters on Tuesday, he said.
District Magistrate Rigzian Samphel said 35 people were onboard the ill-fated boat, which had the capacity of only 20 passengers.
"Twenty cycles and two motorcycles were also loaded on the boat," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch