Seven more succumb to encephalitis, toll climbs to 390
Gorakhpur (UP): Seven more children succumbed to encephalitis at the BRD Medical College Hospital here, taking the death toll due to the disease in eastern Uttar Pradesh to 390 this year.
The deceased, who died here yesterday, belonged to Gonda (1), Basti (1) Gorakhpur (1), Siddharthanagar (2), and Kushinagar (2), health officials said thursday.
Additional director (Health) Diwakar Prasad said 23 people suffering from encephalitis were admitted to BRD MCH and other government hospitals yesterday.
A total of 2511 encephalitis patients were admitted to different government hospitals of the region this year of which 390 died, he said, adding that over 270 patients are still being treated at these hospitals.
Meanwhile, the Gram Pradhans of sensitive areas have been advised to launch massive sanitation campaign from their own budget to check the spread of the vector-borne disease which is mainly caused due to consumption of contaminated water and unhygienic conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- It's OUT! Love happens at fourth sight, not first
- China warns India over deployment of BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- Switch to high speed 4G Jio, stop using Vodafone, Airtel: Reliance to employees
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai to receive Khel Ratna awards
- Kashmir issue can be resolved politically, not judicially: SC