Seven more succumb to encephalitis, toll climbs to 390
Gorakhpur (UP): Seven more children succumbed to encephalitis at the BRD Medical College Hospital here, taking the death toll due to the disease in eastern Uttar Pradesh to 390 this year.
The deceased, who died here yesterday, belonged to Gonda (1), Basti (1) Gorakhpur (1), Siddharthanagar (2), and Kushinagar (2), health officials said thursday.
Additional director (Health) Diwakar Prasad said 23 people suffering from encephalitis were admitted to BRD MCH and other government hospitals yesterday.
A total of 2511 encephalitis patients were admitted to different government hospitals of the region this year of which 390 died, he said, adding that over 270 patients are still being treated at these hospitals.
Meanwhile, the Gram Pradhans of sensitive areas have been advised to launch massive sanitation campaign from their own budget to check the spread of the vector-borne disease which is mainly caused due to consumption of contaminated water and unhygienic conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir