Seven more succumb to encephalitis, toll climbs to 390
Gorakhpur (UP): Seven more children succumbed to encephalitis at the BRD Medical College Hospital here, taking the death toll due to the disease in eastern Uttar Pradesh to 390 this year.
The deceased, who died here yesterday, belonged to Gonda (1), Basti (1) Gorakhpur (1), Siddharthanagar (2), and Kushinagar (2), health officials said thursday.
Additional director (Health) Diwakar Prasad said 23 people suffering from encephalitis were admitted to BRD MCH and other government hospitals yesterday.
A total of 2511 encephalitis patients were admitted to different government hospitals of the region this year of which 390 died, he said, adding that over 270 patients are still being treated at these hospitals.
Meanwhile, the Gram Pradhans of sensitive areas have been advised to launch massive sanitation campaign from their own budget to check the spread of the vector-borne disease which is mainly caused due to consumption of contaminated water and unhygienic conditions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured