Several hurt in clash in Meerut
Meerut: At least two dozen people were injured when a clash broke out between two groups of Muslims during a Muharram procession in the district, police said.
The clash broke out between two groups of minority community at Abdulahpur village yesterday, after one side asked the other group to stop beating of drums during the Muharram procession as a `majlis` (religious gathering) was going on, SSP K Satyanarayan said.
The argument soon turned violent as the two sides exchanged fire and pelted stones at each other, prompting authorities to deploy police force in the district.
Police is interrogating the persons arrested in connection with the violence, SP (rural) RP Pandey said.
A hunt is on to nab others, police said, adding, the situation is under control now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi