Several hurt in clash in Meerut
Meerut: At least two dozen people were injured when a clash broke out between two groups of Muslims during a Muharram procession in the district, police said.
The clash broke out between two groups of minority community at Abdulahpur village yesterday, after one side asked the other group to stop beating of drums during the Muharram procession as a `majlis` (religious gathering) was going on, SSP K Satyanarayan said.
The argument soon turned violent as the two sides exchanged fire and pelted stones at each other, prompting authorities to deploy police force in the district.
Police is interrogating the persons arrested in connection with the violence, SP (rural) RP Pandey said.
A hunt is on to nab others, police said, adding, the situation is under control now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report