Shia Board demands representation in UP Cabinet
Jaunpur: Unhappy over lack of representation of Shia Muslims in the Akilesh Yadav Cabinet in Uttar Pradesh, an organisation representing them said the community would not support the ruling Samajwadi Party in the Lok Sabha elections.
"If the state government fails to give representation to Shias, All India Shia Personal Law Board in its meeting slated to be held in two weeks` time would deliberate on the issue and formulate its future strategy," spokesman of the Board, Maulana Yasoob Abbas said.
"Shias had fully backed the ruling party in the assembly elections but they were later ignored while all others were given representation in the ministry...We will not tolerate this," Abbas said.
Referring to Shadab Fatima (MLA), Bukkal Nawab (MLC) and former legislator Abbas Ali Zaidi (all Shias), he said the government can make them minister or chairperson of any commission.
Abbas warned that if the government failed to give Shias their due, they would not support the SP in the Lok Sabha elections.
Meanwhile, chairman of Shia Jagran Manch Maulana Mehdi Hasan also said Shias were feeling let down by the Akhilesh Yadav government.
Rooting for ministerial berth for Shadab Fatima, he said if the demand was not met, his organisation would unite Shias and launch an anti-SP campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley