Shias in UP seek Azam Khan`s removal
Lucknow: The Shias here have asked Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to clear ambiguities in Waqf Board appointments, allegedly been done at the behest of Urban Development and Wakf Minister Azam Khan.
A meeting between Shia cleric Kalb-e-Jawwad and the chief minister took place late Wednesday in which the issue was discussed.
Sources said the Shia community is divided over the appointments, alleging that Azam Khan was bribed for them.
"The people being appointed to the board are corrupt and would lead to large scale malpractises," Kalb-e-Jawwad told IANS.
He sought an immediate and convincing response from the state government on the matter and said he has given a five-point charter of demands to the chief minister. One of its demands is to take the Waqf department out of Khan`s control.
He also said he has been assured that "no injustice" will be done.
Violence had erupted in the city when a Shia protest march proceeding towards the minister`s house was intercepted by police. In the clashes later, one person was killed and many were injured, leading to tensions on the day of Alvida Namaaz - the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists