Agra: One person was injured when fire broke out in two-storied building of a shoe manufacturing unit in Karishna Nagar area here Friday, police said.
The fire started this evening after a suspected short-circuit in the electricity meter which gutted the factory, owned by one Mohit Katyal, including all finished goods and other raw materials, leading to loss of several lakhs of rupees, they said.
There were six workers in the factory when the fire broke, they tried to douse the flames but it spread rapidly and entrapped them, a fire department official said.
Seeing the flames coming out of the factory and hearing the screams of the workers, locals informed the fire department and rushed to the building to break a wall to make the escape route for the workers.
It took three hours to the fire fighters to contain the flames.
One of the workers, Pintu suffered burn injuries in his hands, who has been sent to hospital for treatment, police said.