Show policy on ex-gratia compensation, HC tells UP
Lucknow: The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on Tuesday asked the Uttar Pradesh government to present before it the state policy on compensations given to the kin of murder victims.
The bench of Justice Uma Nath Singh and Justice Satish Chandra gave the order after hearing the arguments of Additional Advocate General Bulbul Godiyal and the lawyer of social activist Nutan Thakur, who had filed a public interest litigation (PIL).
In the PIL, Thakur had prayed that while Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav gave compensations of Rs 50 lakh and Rs 20 lakh each to the kin of the victims in the Pratapgarh triple murder incident, it had not given any compensation in other murder cases, including in the case of the "political murder" of Ram Babu Gupta in Tanda, Sultanpur.
Kunda Deputy Superintendent of Police Zia-ul-Haq, panchayat chief Nanhe Yadav and his brother Suresh were killed in the triple murders.
All four murders happened earlier this month.
The petition says that this is against the right to equality enshrined in the constitution and the Uttar Pradesh government does not have the right to differentiate between cases of murder without sufficient reasons.
The petitioner prayed before the court that the state government should be directed to frame a specific policy for compensation in murder cases and that equal compensation be paid in all other recent murder cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming