Shukla meets Mayawati, takes signature on Pranab letter
Lucknow: Congress leader Rajiv Shukla on Wednesday met BSP supremo Mayawati and took her signature on the support letter to UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee, who will be filing nomination tomorrow.
"Pranab is filing nominations for the post of President tomorrow. Rajiv Shukla met me to take my signature on the support letter, which I did. You know that nominations are filed in a number of sets...Shukla was sent to take my signature", Mayawati told reporters here.
Mayawati said that BSP had supported Pranab`s candidature and she would ensure that besides Uttar Pradesh, wherever the party had MLAs and MPs they should vote for him.
"Pranab has called today and said that he would soon come to meet me in Lucknow as per my convenience", she said.
Shukla when asked said that Pranab had thanked Mayawati for supporting his candidature.
Mukherjee submitted his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday. The 77-year-old veteran Congress leader, who is the UPA candidate for the July 19 Presidential poll, left the Finance Ministry after an over three-year stint.
Meanwhile, Shukla said that Pranab Mukherjee would file his nomination at 11 AM tomorrow.
He said that SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav had already signed the nomination paper as proposer and would be present during nomination.
Mukherjee would start his tour seeking support from June 30, and he would meet MLAs of both the parties and Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'NSG applications of Pakistan, India should be considered together'
- Jung, Meena will be summoned over Sheila govt 'scams': Dy Speaker
- CBI files fresh chargesheet against two in Vyapam cases
- ED officer loses annual increments for harassing woman
- Finally! Ringing Bells ready with two lakh Freedom 251 phones: Mohit Goel