Singhal among 958 VHP activists released, Togadia shifted
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government today released 958 VHP workers including its leader Ashok Singhal while shifting Pravin Togadia and some others from Faizabad to Etah, a day after they were taken into custody for taking out a yatra from Ayodhya defying a ban.
"VHP leader Ashok Singhal has been released after finding no threat for peace from him.... He has left for New Delhi", Secretary, Home, Sarvesh told reporters here.
The development came soon after the Allahabad High Court directed the UP government to release Singhal, Togadia and Jagatguru Rambhadracharya in case they have been detained beyond 24 hours on apprehension of breach of peace in violation of law.
However, the official refused to reply to queries on whether the decision was prompted by the High Court order.
He said that of the total 2,454 arrested VHP workers, 958 have been released from different districts after assessment was made in his regard by respective district magistrates.
Asked about other VHP leaders, he said that Togadia, former MP Ram Vilas Vedanti and former MLA Lallu Singh had been shifted to Etah from Faizabad and have not been released till now.
"They and other VHP workers will be released when there will be no threat for peace from them," he said.
Togadia was arrested yeterday from the banks of river Saryu in Ayodhya from where the Chaurasi Kosi Prakrama was to begin, while Singhal was taken into custody at Lucknow airport when he arrived from Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September