Singhal among 958 VHP activists released, Togadia shifted
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh government today released 958 VHP workers including its leader Ashok Singhal while shifting Pravin Togadia and some others from Faizabad to Etah, a day after they were taken into custody for taking out a yatra from Ayodhya defying a ban.
"VHP leader Ashok Singhal has been released after finding no threat for peace from him.... He has left for New Delhi", Secretary, Home, Sarvesh told reporters here.
The development came soon after the Allahabad High Court directed the UP government to release Singhal, Togadia and Jagatguru Rambhadracharya in case they have been detained beyond 24 hours on apprehension of breach of peace in violation of law.
However, the official refused to reply to queries on whether the decision was prompted by the High Court order.
He said that of the total 2,454 arrested VHP workers, 958 have been released from different districts after assessment was made in his regard by respective district magistrates.
Asked about other VHP leaders, he said that Togadia, former MP Ram Vilas Vedanti and former MLA Lallu Singh had been shifted to Etah from Faizabad and have not been released till now.
"They and other VHP workers will be released when there will be no threat for peace from them," he said.
Togadia was arrested yeterday from the banks of river Saryu in Ayodhya from where the Chaurasi Kosi Prakrama was to begin, while Singhal was taken into custody at Lucknow airport when he arrived from Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?