Singhvi avoids commenting on allegations on Mayawati`s brother
New Delhi: Congress MP Abhishek Manu Singhvi on Thursday refused to comment on reports of alleged dubious financial transactions by companies allegedly owned by Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati`s brother, saying these are matters which are heavily sub-judice in different courts.
"Look, these are matters which are heavily sub-judice in different courts. Indeed, one or two of them have been finally decided on the income tax side by the Delhi High Court. So, it would not be appropriate to comment on the merits," said Singhvi.
"However, when questions are raised, I suppose accountability requires answers, and the court will have to look into those answers, not me or you," he added.
In the wake of allegations of questionable financial transaction worth crores of rupees against companies allegedly owned by Mayawati`s brother Anand Kumar, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had earlier this week demanded a thorough probe into the entire episode and questioned the Congress-led UPA II Government`s intentions on the issue in view of the support extended to it by her party.
"We reiterate that it is a major case of corruption which we see here, that the brother of Mayawati is running apparently 76-odd companies, most of which have no activities to claim," said BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman.
"Is there something that is stopping the Congress Government from taking action against an alliance partner chief`s brother?" she asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India