SIT reopens gang-rape case in Muzaffarnagar after SC directive
Muzaffarnagar: The Special Investigation Team (SIT), probing the Muzaffarnagar riot cases, has reopened a gang-rape case of Phugana village in the district, following a directive by the Supreme Court.
Appearing before a woman magistrate yesterday, the gang-rape victim recorded her statement and admitted of being gang-raped by five men in Phugana village.
According to SIT officials, a final report was filed by the SIT on the basis of the victim`s earlier statement where she had turned hostile.
The case has been reopened on the directive of the Supreme Court, which had ordered that statement of victims in all gang-rape cases in Phugana village be recorded again before a woman magistrate, SIT sources said.
Five persons are accused of allegedly gang-raping a 30-year-old woman in Phugana village during communal riots in Muzaffaranagar and its adjoining districts last year.
SIT officials further added that the victim had admitted that she had given the first statement under pressure and that the accused men had threatened her of dire consequences if she admitted of being raped.
The victim`s family was displaced from Phugana and rehabilitated in Loee village in the district.
Police had registered six separate gang-rape cases against 27 people in Phugana village in September last year.
SIT had found 22 persons involved in five cases. Two accused have been arrested by the police, while 20 are still at large.
Meanwhile, a local court has initiated attachment proceedings against 20 absconding accused.
Around 60 people died and thousands were displaced from their homes in last year`s communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and neighbouring villages of Western Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof