Six cops injured as protest over power supply turns violent in UP
Bhadohi: At least six policemen, including two Sub Inspectors, were injured on Friday when locals protesting over erratic power supply indulged in brick-batting on the Allahabad-Varanasi highway here.
Angry with frequent disruptions in power supply in southern parts of Gopiganj for the past one month, residents marched to the local power department office and locked the gates after chasing away staff members, according to police.
Later, the protesters staged a dharna on the highway.
When police team used mild force to disperse the crowd, the protesters indulged in brick-batting injuring six policemen, including two sub-inspectors, police sources said.
The protesters also damaged window panes of several vehicles, which had piled up on the highway, they said.
An FIR has been registered and additional force deployed in the area, Superintendent of Police, Vijay Kumar Dixit, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali