Six cops injured as protest over power supply turns violent in UP
Bhadohi: At least six policemen, including two Sub Inspectors, were injured on Friday when locals protesting over erratic power supply indulged in brick-batting on the Allahabad-Varanasi highway here.
Angry with frequent disruptions in power supply in southern parts of Gopiganj for the past one month, residents marched to the local power department office and locked the gates after chasing away staff members, according to police.
Later, the protesters staged a dharna on the highway.
When police team used mild force to disperse the crowd, the protesters indulged in brick-batting injuring six policemen, including two sub-inspectors, police sources said.
The protesters also damaged window panes of several vehicles, which had piled up on the highway, they said.
An FIR has been registered and additional force deployed in the area, Superintendent of Police, Vijay Kumar Dixit, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?