Six cops injured as protest over power supply turns violent in UP
Bhadohi: At least six policemen, including two Sub Inspectors, were injured on Friday when locals protesting over erratic power supply indulged in brick-batting on the Allahabad-Varanasi highway here.
Angry with frequent disruptions in power supply in southern parts of Gopiganj for the past one month, residents marched to the local power department office and locked the gates after chasing away staff members, according to police.
Later, the protesters staged a dharna on the highway.
When police team used mild force to disperse the crowd, the protesters indulged in brick-batting injuring six policemen, including two sub-inspectors, police sources said.
The protesters also damaged window panes of several vehicles, which had piled up on the highway, they said.
An FIR has been registered and additional force deployed in the area, Superintendent of Police, Vijay Kumar Dixit, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- Islamic State group claims second German attack in a week
- Former Apple executive is back to lead company's car project
- Mumbai Taxi-rickshaw strike 'put on hold'
- VIDEO: Sushil calls Narsingh's doping row 'unfortunate', wants fellow wrestlers to win medals at Rio
- Pained by death of his buddy 'Tiger', 26/11 canine hero Caesar goes into depression