Six cops injured in mob attack in UP village
Lucknow: At least six policemen were injured in mob violence at Rataul village, in Uttar Pradesh`s Baghpat district, following the murder of a local farmer, officials said.
Faiz Ali was shot dead while returning from his fields Sunday. The killing sparked off violent protests in which instances of arson and vandalism were reported.
Locals torched public and private vehicles, damaged commercial establishments and fought pitched battles with the police, who had to baton-charge them.
"Tension still prevails in the area," Superintendent of Police P.P. Singh told reporters in Baghpat, some 400-km from Lucknow. "The killing is being investigated."
The Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) has been deployed in the trouble-hit area.
According to officials, the six injured include a deputy superintendent of police and a station house officer (SHO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test