Six cops injured in mob attack in UP village
Lucknow: At least six policemen were injured in mob violence at Rataul village, in Uttar Pradesh`s Baghpat district, following the murder of a local farmer, officials said.
Faiz Ali was shot dead while returning from his fields Sunday. The killing sparked off violent protests in which instances of arson and vandalism were reported.
Locals torched public and private vehicles, damaged commercial establishments and fought pitched battles with the police, who had to baton-charge them.
"Tension still prevails in the area," Superintendent of Police P.P. Singh told reporters in Baghpat, some 400-km from Lucknow. "The killing is being investigated."
The Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) has been deployed in the trouble-hit area.
According to officials, the six injured include a deputy superintendent of police and a station house officer (SHO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pope denounces Armenian `genocide` in Yerevan visit
- University of Mumbai T.Y.B.Com Semester Six (75:25) Result 2016 declared on mu.ac.in
- Poland National Championships 2016: Quarter-miler Mohd. Anas sets new national record
- NHRC notice to Karnataka over ragging of Dalit student
- Saudi cop shot dead in Shiite district: Ministry