Six cops injured in mob attack in UP village
Lucknow: At least six policemen were injured in mob violence at Rataul village, in Uttar Pradesh`s Baghpat district, following the murder of a local farmer, officials said.
Faiz Ali was shot dead while returning from his fields Sunday. The killing sparked off violent protests in which instances of arson and vandalism were reported.
Locals torched public and private vehicles, damaged commercial establishments and fought pitched battles with the police, who had to baton-charge them.
"Tension still prevails in the area," Superintendent of Police P.P. Singh told reporters in Baghpat, some 400-km from Lucknow. "The killing is being investigated."
The Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) has been deployed in the trouble-hit area.
According to officials, the six injured include a deputy superintendent of police and a station house officer (SHO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi