Six cops injured in mob attack in UP village
Lucknow: At least six policemen were injured in mob violence at Rataul village, in Uttar Pradesh`s Baghpat district, following the murder of a local farmer, officials said.
Faiz Ali was shot dead while returning from his fields Sunday. The killing sparked off violent protests in which instances of arson and vandalism were reported.
Locals torched public and private vehicles, damaged commercial establishments and fought pitched battles with the police, who had to baton-charge them.
"Tension still prevails in the area," Superintendent of Police P.P. Singh told reporters in Baghpat, some 400-km from Lucknow. "The killing is being investigated."
The Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) has been deployed in the trouble-hit area.
According to officials, the six injured include a deputy superintendent of police and a station house officer (SHO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption