Six cops injured in mob attack in UP village
Lucknow: At least six policemen were injured in mob violence at Rataul village, in Uttar Pradesh`s Baghpat district, following the murder of a local farmer, officials said.
Faiz Ali was shot dead while returning from his fields Sunday. The killing sparked off violent protests in which instances of arson and vandalism were reported.
Locals torched public and private vehicles, damaged commercial establishments and fought pitched battles with the police, who had to baton-charge them.
"Tension still prevails in the area," Superintendent of Police P.P. Singh told reporters in Baghpat, some 400-km from Lucknow. "The killing is being investigated."
The Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) has been deployed in the trouble-hit area.
According to officials, the six injured include a deputy superintendent of police and a station house officer (SHO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview