Six policemen injured in clash at UP-Haryana border
Muzaffarnagar: A mob attacked police near the Haryana-UP border to free alleged sand mafias arrested by them and tried to crush the officials under a tractor, leaving six policemen injured, police said today.
The mob comprising of people from Haryana managed to free the arrested persons after attacking a team of UP revenue and police officials at Chotra village in Shamli district last night, police said.
Jhinjhana Police Staion SHO B P Yadav has sustained head injuries in the incident and his condition is stated to be serious, they said, adding that the injured have been admitted to a hospital.
The mob took away three police vehicles and an AK-47 rifle which were later recovered, Deputy Superintendent of Police C P Singh said.
The mob attacked the officials with sticks and stones and also tried to mow them down under a tractor, police said.
Senior police officers have rushed to the spot with reinforcements and security has been beefed up, they said.
The injured include Naib Tehsildar D K Pandey and constables Braham Singh, Ravinder and Naran Singh, he said.
Six persons -- Islam, Sajim, Anwar, Israil and Nazim, all hailing from Haryana -- have been arrested in this connection, police said.
A case has been registered against 150 people and 15 persons have been named in the FIR.
A team of officials led by executive magistrate Devender Kumar went there last night to nab sand mafias following complaints of illegal sand-lifting and arrested three youths but a mob soon gathered there and attacked the officials, setting those arrested free, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog