Six UP cops suspended for custodial death
Lucknow: Six policemen, including an inspector were suspended in Uttar Pradesh after a man facing charges for running an illegal arms racket died in a police station here, officials said on Thursday.
Virendra Mishra,28, was picked up by the Hasanganj police at around 5 pm on Wednesday for being part of the racket, and a country made weapon was also recovered from him.
He was allegedly beaten up by the police in the lock-up after which he hanged himself with a piece of blanket.
The matter came to light mid-night when relatives of Mishra brought people from the media to the police station, suspecting foul play, as they were not allowed to serve him home food to him.
Senior Superintendent of police (SSP) J Ravindra Gaud suspended six policemen, including station in-charge of the Hasanganj police station, Javed Khan, a sub-inspector and four other constables.
A probe has also been ordered into the matter and the SSP said: "Anyone found guilty in the matter would not be spared".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3