Six UP cops suspended for custodial death
Lucknow: Six policemen, including an inspector were suspended in Uttar Pradesh after a man facing charges for running an illegal arms racket died in a police station here, officials said on Thursday.
Virendra Mishra,28, was picked up by the Hasanganj police at around 5 pm on Wednesday for being part of the racket, and a country made weapon was also recovered from him.
He was allegedly beaten up by the police in the lock-up after which he hanged himself with a piece of blanket.
The matter came to light mid-night when relatives of Mishra brought people from the media to the police station, suspecting foul play, as they were not allowed to serve him home food to him.
Senior Superintendent of police (SSP) J Ravindra Gaud suspended six policemen, including station in-charge of the Hasanganj police station, Javed Khan, a sub-inspector and four other constables.
A probe has also been ordered into the matter and the SSP said: "Anyone found guilty in the matter would not be spared".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE