Social activists alleged bias against UP riot victims
Lucknow: Social activists have accused the Uttar Pradesh government of providing inadequate and slow relief to victims of communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli.
Accusing official agencies of forcing the victims living in relief camps to sign undertakings in lieu of compensation, an umbrella grouping of NGOs said the government must realize its duties towards its citizens.
The Joint Citizens` Initiative (JCI) said late Monday that the government needs to work towards a comprehensive rehabilitation of those hit by the September riots that killed over 60 people.
Thousands were also forced to flee their homes and take shelter in makeshift camps.
Shamshad of Kharad village in Muzaffarnagar district narrated how the police acted as mute spectators while frenzied mobs torched mosques and killed innocents.
He alleged that the district administration had refused to recognise the claims of compensation made by the victims.
At an event held at Gandhi Bhawan here, Kavita Krishnan, national secretary of the All India Progressive Women Association, spoke about the sexual assaults on women living in relief camps.
She urged the state to ensure the safety and security of women who survived the violence.
Syeda Hameed, a member of the Planning Commission, said the Uttar Pradesh government was duty bound to provide support to all those who were ready to go back to their homes.
"The government should put in all the resources at its command to ensure that a peaceful and safe environment welcomes these people back into their homes," Hameed said.
Earlier, the JCI submitted a memorandum to the state and union governments seeking a single window system so that survivors could go through administrative formalities regarding compensation, rehabilitation, availing banking facilities, getting back lost identity documents and related issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'