Social activists alleged bias against UP riot victims
Lucknow: Social activists have accused the Uttar Pradesh government of providing inadequate and slow relief to victims of communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli.
Accusing official agencies of forcing the victims living in relief camps to sign undertakings in lieu of compensation, an umbrella grouping of NGOs said the government must realize its duties towards its citizens.
The Joint Citizens` Initiative (JCI) said late Monday that the government needs to work towards a comprehensive rehabilitation of those hit by the September riots that killed over 60 people.
Thousands were also forced to flee their homes and take shelter in makeshift camps.
Shamshad of Kharad village in Muzaffarnagar district narrated how the police acted as mute spectators while frenzied mobs torched mosques and killed innocents.
He alleged that the district administration had refused to recognise the claims of compensation made by the victims.
At an event held at Gandhi Bhawan here, Kavita Krishnan, national secretary of the All India Progressive Women Association, spoke about the sexual assaults on women living in relief camps.
She urged the state to ensure the safety and security of women who survived the violence.
Syeda Hameed, a member of the Planning Commission, said the Uttar Pradesh government was duty bound to provide support to all those who were ready to go back to their homes.
"The government should put in all the resources at its command to ensure that a peaceful and safe environment welcomes these people back into their homes," Hameed said.
Earlier, the JCI submitted a memorandum to the state and union governments seeking a single window system so that survivors could go through administrative formalities regarding compensation, rehabilitation, availing banking facilities, getting back lost identity documents and related issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof